Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Hamlet Pre-reading Question

Have I ever claimed to see or anyone I've ever known claimed to have seen a supernatural being?

Sometimes I think I might have seen a ghost once. We were on our 5th grade AT trip, and we went to Springfield, IL because we had been learning about Abraham Lincoln. We went to his house, and the museum dedicated to him and all of the other historical places around the city. When we were touring his house, we went into the back yard to see all the cool things out there, and i turned around to take a picture of the house. As I took the picture, something caught my eye in one of the upstairs windows. In the window that I guessed was Mrs. Lincoln's room, I saw a person standing in the window. I thought this was strange because no one was allowed to actually go into the rooms past a certain point, and none of them were even close to the window. When i looked back at the picture after it had been developed, i saw the same thing again. A shape in the window that looked like a woman looking out at us in the courtyard. At that time I was convinced that I had seen the ghost of Abraham Lincoln's wife in her old home. Now I'm not so sure.
Do I believe in the supernatural?
I used to, but lots of kids do. Now, however, i want to believe in it because I like all kinds of fantasy and magic, but i don't think it really does exist. Now that I have been in school, and learned more about the "real world" I realize that those kinds of supernatural things are probably impossible. Although, I wish they were.

5 comments:

  1. It's cool that you saw this. And I wish more people believed in the supernatural. I think a lot of people have lost their belief because like you they were told that supernatural stuff isn't real

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. I think as kids we had all this stuff that we watched on TV or read in books that we thought was just amazing, but then once we got older and were told that they weren't really real, we started believing it.

      Delete
  2. This actually creeped me out! I take my stand very firmly that there are supernatural beings, at the very least ghosts. That doesn’t necessarily mean they have to be cliché evil spirits we commonly read in fiction, but maybe just restless spirits that live amongst us. I’m glad you shared you story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great story, and I think you made a great point. As kids, many of us have an open mind to all sorts of possiblities. However, as we age, we are taught to come up with logical explinations for everything. I feel that the older we get, the more we don't notice, because we convince ourselves that there are limitied possiblities. I really liked your post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, I LOVE YOUR BLOG! It looks so professional and cozy. It makes me want to find an enormous library and curl up with some coffee and a good book and just get completely lost in a story. I appreciate that kind of atmosphere. Ahhh. That's a super creepy story. Supernatural anything really freaks me out but I love how youve compared and contrasted it with Shakespeare! Anywho, love your blog! Keep bloggin'!

    ReplyDelete